Lawyers Handling Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Western Pennsylvania
Work with a trusted law firm during this difficult time for your family
It’s indescribably difficult to deal with the loss of someone close to you, especially if that person died due to someone else’s reckless actions or negligence. In these situations, you may be able to pursue compensation from responsible parties and their insurance companies, but you need an experienced wrongful death attorney to help. If you have lost a loved one, contact the lawyers at Bowers Fawcett & Hurst, LLC. We proudly serve individuals and families throughout western Pennsylvania, as we have for more than 40 years. We handle all legal aspects of your claim and serve as a resource during a difficult time.
What is a wrongful death and survival lawsuit?
A wrongful death and survival claim is a civil lawsuit brought when a party believes that the negligence or intentional act of a specific person or entity led to someone else’s death. The most common scenario for wrongful death and survival case is when family members or loved ones of a deceased person file a lawsuit against the negligent party.
There are specific rules for who may file wrongful death and survival claims in Pennsylvania. Recoverable damages include medical bills and loss of future earnings, funeral expenses and the loss of household services. Compensation can also be received for the loss of guidance and tutelage and the loss of consortium. Wrongful death claims compensate those who have suffered a pecuniary loss as the result of the loss of a love one.
What are the most common scenarios for a wrongful death claim?
Fatal accidents may result from any number of scenarios. The following are some of the most common:
- Auto accidents. Family members and estate executors may seek compensation in the event of a car accident or accidents with commercial trucks or motorcycles.
- Medical malpractice. There is an expectation that doctors, nurses and other medical professionals will provide a certain standard of care, including when writing prescriptions, diagnosing illnesses and providing medical care. Failure to meet those standards could make them liable for a patient’s death.
- Workplace accidents. While employees are generally prohibited from suing their employer, many work place accidents are caused by the negligence of other persons or companies. In those cases, you may pursue a claim for the injuries or the death of a loved one.
- Defective products. Dangerous products can cause death or serious injuries. If a manufacturer produced a dangerous product or failed to warn customers about hazards, that company could be liable for the wrongful death of the victim.
- Dangerous premises. Home and business owners must maintain safe premises, free of dangerous conditions for customers and guests. Failing to do so could result in accidents, the most severe of which can lead to death.
Meet with an attorney experienced wrongful death and survival in Beaver County right away
During a difficult time for you and your family, it’s helpful to work with an attorney who truly cares. To begin a wrongful death lawsuit, call on Bowers Fawcett & Hurst, LLC. We serve families throughout western Pennsylvania from our office in Ambridge, and we offer free initial consultations and there is never a fee unless we recover for you. Call us today at 724-266-0290 or contact us online.